Mrs. Shepard moved to Silver City in 1881, after living in Santa Fe where she had run a sheep ranch since 1878. In 1882, Mrs. Shepard built a store at 210 N. Bullard. The first occupant was the John H. Swift hardware store. In 1888, her two sons, J. Albert & John B., opened the Card Brothers hardware store in that location. Mrs. Shepard also had three daughters, Emma Card Speers Connors, Kate M. Card Snyder and Ida Card, who married the afore-mentioned John Swift. Mr. Elihu Shepard was a professor of Latin and Greek at St. Louis University, and had been ambassador to Russia.