Acequia Madre House™
"House of the Three Wise Women"
The Acequia Madre House™ was built by Eva Scott Fényes, her daughter, Leonora S. M. Curtin, and granddaughter, Leonora F. Curtin, who later became Mrs. Yrjö Paloheimo.
In 1927, the noted historian, Native American activist, poet and journalist Charles Fletcher Lummis pronounced the new Santa Fe home of his friends, “The House of the Three Wise Women” demonstrating his respect for the three remarkable women of Acequia Madre House™.
Over the course of 150 years, the three women of Acequia Madre House™ traveled the globe, participated in the creation of art, the study of the region’s ethno-botany, the preservation of folk history and culture, Native languages and architecture, by founding museums, and using their own talents with a practical approach and a sense of purpose. They contributed substantially to Santa Fe and the other communities in which they lived, wrote to each other daily when apart and saved everything. The result is a remarkable archive – a time capsule covering the period from 1849 to 1999.
Click Here to Browse the Collection