The Silver City Museum, opened in 1967, is a department of the Town of Silver City with support from the Silver City Museum Society and The Institute of Museum and Library Services. Housed in the restored 1881 Mansard/Italianate H.B Ailman House, the museum collection resource materials include some 20,000 objects relating to the peoples and history of southwest New Mexico.
The Silver City Museum's permanent collection totals well over 20,000 objects, including approximately 15,000 photos. Photographs make up the largest and fastest growing collection category. At the nucleus of our photo archive is the John Harlan Collection of some 800 local views from the 1870s-1920s, received in 1974. This has been built upon by many family collections, including photos sought out from community members for use in exhibits over the years. A significant 1996 gift, the O.L Hinger Collection of more than 1,700 images from the 1930s and '40s, greatly improved our documentation of the people, buildings, and lifestyles in the region for the period before and during World War II. Community members have helped us identify most of these photos.
For more information about this collection contact the Silver City Museum.
Funding for this digital collection came from the National Endowment for the Humanities and the University of New Mexico, Center for Regional Studies.